Monday, June 10, 2013

Last Year's Blueberries

I love ice cream, like really love it.  I've slept walk/slept ate ice cream on numerous occasions.  If I know it's in the freezer where ever I am living, that stuff is a goner.  I have no power over it, my sub-conscious takes over and leds me to that frozen creamy goodness without my knowledge.
You can imagine my dismay when we arrived here and I found that there was no functioning ice cream machine.  Luckily, it was decided before we left for Alaska that this would be a summer of health and weight loss- not that I need it but...  The absence of the ice cream machine, more than likely is for the best.  I honestly shouldn't be sleep walking through the wilderness at "night" to consume a pint (or two) of ice cream.  Last week, I was walking to the kitchen at 5am and almost walked into a porcupine, sleep-walking anywhere here would definitely be a bad idea.

     While rummaging through our freezer I found a frozen bag of wild blueberries that were picked last year!  Immediately I thought, I bet you could turn these into sorbet (I know, it's not ice cream but it's close).  Remembering that blueberries have a relatively high pectin content I decided to devise a recipe to make sorbet using the blender.  First we made an infused syrup with corn syrup, sugar, water, rosemary, and borage.  The corn syrup doesn't crystalize when cooked so this logically would minimize ice crystals in the sorbet when frozen.  After the syrup was throughly chilled I blended syrup, frozen blueberries, and juice of half a lemon.  The result was a smooth frozen puree that looked like it just came out of an ice cream machine!  Success!  We served it with a spreadable cardamom custard, candied fennel seeds, and a rosemary shortbread.  Desperation results innovation!  You got lucky this time ice cream, this time...

Post Freezer set up!



Where I almost met my demise.








No comments:

Post a Comment